Kindergarten Curriculum Goals
1. Practice beating accurately by imitation, with body percussion, movement, speech and on instruments.
2. Maintain steady beat in duple and triple meters.
3. Respond accurately to various tempos in movement, with body percussion, and on instruments.
4. Identify tempos and tempo changes as ‘fast,’ ‘slow,’ ‘faster,’ and ‘slower.’
5. Discover and perform beat on body percussion, unpitched percussion instruments, and speech to accompany a song or chant.
6. Identify silent beat (rest). Imitate patterns containing beats and rests. Perform patterns as others chant, move, or sing.
7. Demonstrate awareness of sound durations in movement, on instruments, and with vocal sounds as the same as, longer than, or shorter than the beat.
8. Demonstrate awareness of durations longer than the beat.
9. Identify and perform accented beats.
1. Explore vocal qualities. Label as ‘speaking,’ ‘calling,’ ‘whispering,’ ‘singing.’
2. Explore pitch. Label as ‘high,’ ‘low,’ ‘higher than,’ ‘lower than’ in speech, song, and on instruments.
3. Use words, gestures, and drawings to encourage awareness of high and low pitches in vocal performance.
4. Use gestures, words, and drawings to encourage awareness of melodic contour (moving upward, downward, or repeating).
5, Sing in response to another voice and ID pitch as same, higher, or lower.
6. Sing to imitate a short vocal model of one to three pitches (sol-la-mi).
7. Explore and compare melodic motives and melodic contours through chants, songs, and singing games while developing a song repertoire.
8. Match vocal pitches individually and in group singing.
9. Identify and perform high, middle, and low pitches (la-sol-mi) using body staff.
10. Aurally identify and perform songs using mi-re-do.